Drinking is essential to health. Perfect drinking, be it wine, beer, liquor, water, coffee or tea, brings about health benefits, tastes good and helps you to enjoy life more. This book will provide evidence and suggest ways to hone your drinking skills. It can be fun, too.
There are four enemies of perfect drinking: abstinence, alcoholism, inadequate information and myopic alcohol policies. For most of us, moderate drinking is better than abstinence. Moderate amounts can be higher than the guidelines say.
Perfect drinking and its enemies:
- Shows what are the most healthy drinking habits.
- Gives the best estimates on optimal and risk level drinking.
- Explains how strong is the evidence on the beneficial health effects.
- Points out what determines the good taste of drinks.
- Advises you how to protect yourself from blame, moral panic, well-meant nannying and patronizing.
- Reviews the major detriments of abuse of alcohol – liver disease, cancer, gout, aggression, accidents and fetal damage.
- Dissects the problem of alcoholism.
- Reveals the dangers of counterproductive alcohol policies that now dominate the debate.